Jose Alvarez is a Filipino politician and one of the richest businessmen in the Philippines. He is currently serving as congressman of second legislative district of Palawan Province, considered the last frontier of the Philippines due to its many unexplored hidden treasures such as virgin forests. Previously, he was the provincial governor.
In the 2022 local election, Jose Alvarez ran for congressman under the ruling PDP-Laban Party and defeated incumbent congresswoman Cyrille “Beng” Abueg-Zaldivar, Atty. Stephen “Pen” Cascolan and three other candidates.
Real Name –> Jose Chaves Alvarez
Nickname –> JCA, Pepito
Birth Date –> June 29, 1944 (Age 78)
Birthplace –> Kidapawan, Cotabato Province, Philippines
Hometown –> Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
Wife –> Norma Roa Alvarez
Son –> Jim Alvarez (Died, 2013 in a car crashed in Quezon City)
Father –> Engr. Tomas Alvarez
Mother –> Lilia Alvarez
Elementary – Ateneo de Davao University
High School – San Nicholas College now St. Paul University
College – Cebu Institute of Technology then Xavier University (1964)
Degree – Liberal Arts
2022-Present – Congressman
2013-2022 – Governor
2010 – run for governor of Palawan but failed to win
* 1964 – started Car Trading in Cagayan De Oro then expanded to Mandaue, Cebu in 1969
* 1970 – started a logging business in Indonesia
* 1981 – CEO, Pagdanan Timber Corporation
* Later businesses where he held and/or still holding directorship and/or other position in more than 20 companies including Nationwide Princesa Timber, Universal LRT Corporation (BVI) Limited, Asian Carmakers Corp., Columbian Autocar Corp., Kia Motors Philippines, Penta Pacific Realty Corp., and Penta Helicopter Corporation.
Projects / Advocacy Programs
* I. H.E.L.P. Program – Infrastructure Development, Healthcare, Education, Livelihood, and Protection of the environment
* Establishment of a Food Terminal in Bataraza town as part of the economic development of Palawan
Scandals and Controversies
* Alvarez is accused of deforestation of Palawan but he denied the accusation.
* He was also accused of helping then President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo during the “Hello Garci” controversy. Again, he is vehement in his denial.
Know more about Governor Jose Alvarez by watching the video below.
See also: Famous People from Palawan