Gwendolyn Garcia is a Filipino politician. She is currently serving as governor of Cebu Province in Central Visayas Region, the first female to hold such position. Running under the administration-backed PDP-Laban Party in the May 13, 2019 election, he easily defeated incumbent Vice Governor Agnes Magpale of the Nationalist People’s Coalition.
Real Name –> Gwendolyn Fiel Garcia
Nickname –> Gwen
Birth Date –> October 12, 1955 (age 65)
Birth Place –> Cebu City, Cebu Province, Philippines
Father –> Former Congressman Pablo P. Garcia
Mother –> Esperanza F. Garcia
1. Pablo John Garcia (Congressman, 3rd District)
2. Byron F. Garcia (Security Consultant, Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC))
3. Winston Garcia (Former GSIS Administrator)
4. Nelson Garcia (Former Mayor of Barili)
5. Marlon Fiel Garcia (+) (Mayor, Municipality of Barili)
Husband – Winnie Codilla (Separated)
Children – Paulo Garcia, Liloan mayor Liloan Mayor Atty. Ma. Esperanza Christina Garcia Codilla Frasco, Carissa Garcia
Elementary – St. Theresa’s College
High School – St. Theresa’s College
College – University of the Philippines Diliman
Course – Broadcast Communication and Bachelor of Laws
2004-2013, 2019-Present – Governor
2016-2018 – Deputy Speaker
2013-2019 – Congresswoman of Cebu’s third legislative district
* Provincial Consultant, Systems Promotion and Development
1998-Present – President, GGC Group, Inc.
1996-1998 – Chairperson, Leyte Cooperative Bank
* Ranked No. 1 in job approval rating among all governors in 2021 according to RP- Mission and Development Foundation Inc.
Scandals and Controversies
On February 12, 2018, Gwendolyn Garcia was dismissed from service for grave misconduct by the Office of the Ombudsman. The case was connected with the purchase of a sprawling property for close to P100 million when she was governor. On April 23, 2014, she was cleared by the the Court of Appeals (CA) Special 18th Division.
See also: Famous People from Cebu Province