Hidilyn Diaz is a Filipino airwoman sergeant and weightlifter. She is the first ever Filipino to win a gold medal in the Olympic games. She is also the first Filipino female athlete to win an Olympic medal.
Jump to Weightlifting career.
Complete Name –> Hidilyn Francisco Diaz
Nickname –> Haydee
Birth Date –> February 20, 1991 (age 30 years)
Hometown –> Zamboanga City, Philippines
Height –> 4 ft 11 in (1.49 m)
School –> Universidad de Zamboanga
Degree –> Computer Science
* Hidilyn was recruited to become an airwoman of the Philippine Air Force (PAF) in 2013. Since then, she had been promoted to airwoman sergeant.
Hidilyn Diaz is in a relationship with her coach Filipino-Japanese weightlifter Julius Naranjo whom she met at the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan in 2017.
Father –> Eduardo Diaz (Farmer)
Mother –> Emelita Diaz
Siblings –> 5
2021 – Gold, Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan
2018 – Gold, Asian Games in Indonesia
2017 – Bronze, World Championships in Anaheim, Califronia, United States
2016 – Silver, Olympic Games in Rio de Janiero, Brazil
2012 – (no medal), Summer Olympics in London
2008 – (no medal), Summer Olympics in Beijing, China
Prizes and Incentives
For the winning the gold medal, Hidilyn has received 48.5 million pesos cash and millions more worth of prizes such as a fully furnished condominium, houses and lots and cars in addition to life time free air travel from Philippine Airlines (PAL) and AirAsia. She was also awarded with a Medal of Valor according to law plus a promotion in her rank at the Philippine Air Force.
Here is a breakdown of the prizes received by Hidilyn Diaz for being the one and only Olympic gold medalist:
1. 10 Million pesos from Philippine Sports Commission in accordance with law (RA 10699)
2. 10M from Manny V. Pangilinan (MVP Sports Foundation)
3. 10M from Ramon S. Ang of San Miguel Corporation
4. 5M from Dennis Uy
5. 5M from Pagcor
6. 3M from the Office of President Rodrigo Duterte
7. 3M from Congressman Michael “Mikee” Romero
8. 2.5M from Zamboanga City LGU
9. Eastwood condominium from Megaworld Corporation worth 14M
10. House and lot in Zamboanga City from National Housing Authority
11. Tagaytay house and lot from Philippine Olympic Committee worth 5M
l2. House and lot from Century Properties worth 4M
13. Kia Stonic from the Ayala Group
14. Foton Transvan from UAAGI
15. Skydrive Sport from Suzuki Phils.
16. 2 Chick n Juicy chicken franchise outlets from San Miguel Corporation
17. Free lifetime fuel from Phoenix Petroleum
18. Free lifetime flight miles from Philippine Air Lines
19. Unlimited free flights from AirAsia Philippines
20. Free lifetime membership in Tagaytay Highlands golf course
But on her way to the Olympics, she encountered financial problems due to meager and oftentimes delayed allowance from the government. So she turned to begging for help from the private sector.
But she persevered. With her strong faith in God, she made it.
The gold medal is proof that a Filipino woman can beat the odds and become a heroine in the annals of Philippine sports.
The facial expression of joy after winning the Olympic gold medal.