Balanga City is the capital and the only city of Bataan Province.
Profile of Balanga City (Geography)
Location –> Bataan Province in Central Luzon, Philippines (See map below)
*Distance from Manila –> 120 Kilometers via land transportation
Neighboring Towns –> Abucay, Pilar, Bagac and Morong
Area –> 111.63 km2 (43.10 sq mi)
Population –> 96,061 (2015 Census)
Terrain –> Coastal Plain with hills and high mountains in the west
Industries –> Agriculture, Trading, Tourism
Major Products –> Rice, Vegetables, Poultry, Handicraft, Home-made Food Items
People/Language –> Tagalog, Kapampangan, Ilocano, English
No. of Barangays –> 25
Revenue (2016) –> 574,310,731.02
Representative (2nd District) –> Jose Enrique S. Garcia III
Mayor –> Francis S. Garcia
Vice Mayor –> ViancaLita V. Gozon
City Councilors (Sangguniang Panlungsod Members):
Maria Liza Vasquez
Noel Joseph Valdecanas
Christian Laurence Manalaysay
Pedro Yuzon Jr.
History of Balanga
The name Balanga came from the Kapampangan word Balanga which means clay. It was founded as a missionary post by the Dominican Order on April 21, 1714 and later, it was elevated as a vicariate under the patron of Saint Joseph. When Bataan was established as a separate province in 1754, Balanga was chosen as the capital.
During World War II, Balanga was the scene of heavy fighting between the Japanese Forces and the combined Filipino-American defenders. On April 9, 1942, the starved and weary Filipino and American Forces under General King surrendered.
On December 30, 2000, Balanga was converted into a City by virtue of Republic Act 8984.
Famous People from Balanga
1. Julian Banzon – National Scientist of the Philippines.
2. Albert Garcia – Former Governor and Congressman of Bataan and former Mayor of Balanga.
3. Jose Enrique S. Garcia III – Congressman of Bataan’s Second District, and former Mayor of Balanga
4. Romi Garduce – First Filipino to climb the Seven Summits
5. Chito Jaime – Professional basketball player
6. Luz Magsaysay – Former First lady and wife of Former President Ramon Magsaysay
7. Pedro Tuazon – Former Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
8. Janine Mari Tugonon – First runner-up of Miss Universe 2012
9. Oscar Cruz – Former archbishop of Lingayen, Pangasinan
10. Elisse Joson – actress
Economy, Business and Investment
Although agriculture still plays an important role in the local economy, it is fast giving way to commerce, tourism, industry and education as the prime driver of economic growth. Main products are rice, vegetables, root crops, and fish. Manufactured products are processed food, clothing and furniture.
Due to the industrialization of the neighboring towns, many subdivisions as well as hotels and restaurants have mushroomed in Balanga.
Balanga Tourist Spots
Balanga Wetland Park
Plaza Mayor de Balanga
Bataan Capitol Compound
Bataan World War II Museum
Fall of Bataan Marker
Divine Mercy Shrine
St. Joseph Cathedral
This is how St. Joseph Cathedral looks like in 1911.
International Bird Festival – Celebrated every October 9 and 10
Map of Balanga City