Romulo Macalintal is a famous Filipino election lawyer. In the May 13, 2019 election, he ran as one of the eight candidates for senator of the opposition but he lost.
Personal Information of Romulo Macalintal
Real Name –> Romulo B. Macalintal
Nickname –> Romy, Atty. Mac, Maka-Romy
Birthdate –> 1947 (Age 71)
Spouse –> Mila Gamboa Macalintal, a former English Professor of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines
Children –> Jinel, Victor and Michael
Religion –> Catholic
* Romy was a big fan of Muhammad Ali whom he was able to meet for two hours during the latter’s fight in Manila, dubbed “Thrilla in Manila”.
* He designated son-in-law Atty. Ace Bautista as his campaign manager
* His fellow election lawyers, Sixto Brillantes and George Garcia are helping him in his senate bid.
Family and Childhood
* Atty Romy came from a family of modest means
* married to a teacher of PUP
* has three children and five grandchildren
* Started working at the age of 18 to help his family
* Studied high school at Far Eastern University
* Finished Bachelor of Science in Commerce, major in Advertising from Philippine College of Commerce (now Polytechnic University of the Philippines)
* Graduated law degree from University of the East, College of Law
* Passed the BAR examinations in 1978 with a rating of 83.1%
* messenger-collector in an insurance company
* mail sorter at the Manila Post Office
* clerk at the defunct Cooperative Administration Office
* started as a messenger and rose from the rank to become Veterans Benefits Counselor at the United States Veterans Administration
* Specialized in election law after he defended Carlos Padilla against Leonardo Perez, then Minister of Information of President Ferdinand Marcos
Achievements of Romulo Macalintal
* Hosted a radio program called Hatol ng Bayan on NBN’s (PTV-4).
* Founder, Mission Guided by Mary Foundation (“MGM”) – a non-profit Catholic organization dedicated to helping indigent high school and college students nationwide.
List of High Profile Cases Handled by Atty: Macalintal
* Defense lawyer of Vice President Leni Robredo in the poll protest filed against her by former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
* Defense lawyer of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s case against Fernando Poe Jr.
* Defense lawyer of Mayor Vico Sotto in the poll protest filed by Bobby Eusebio
* Electoral Reforms and Educating the youth on the right of suffrage
* Free movie tickets for senior citizens
* Expand cash grants for Filipino centenarians
See also: Biography of Chel Diokno