Kanchanaburi Province points of interest are varied and compelling. The province is endowed with natural, historical and other attractions that make it one of the must-see places in Thailand. Only an hour away from Bangkok, the province can be explored in a day or two.
Here’s what to see and do in Kanchanaburi Province
1. The Bridge over the River Kwai (pronounced Kwae)
2. Kanchanaburi War Cemetery
3. Jeath War Museum
4. Hell Fire Pass Memorial Museum and the Death Railway where thousands of people died while working on it during World War 2.
5. Prasat Muang Singh Historical Park
6. Joyriding in a train as it passes through steep ravines
7. Boating on the River Kwai
8. Elephant riding
9. Go Shopping for Thai Arts and Crafts
10. Tiger Temple
11. Erawan National Park with its magnificent waterfall
12. Khuean Srinagarindra National Park with caves and waterfall
13. Chaloem Rattanakosin National Park
14. Sai Yok National Park
How to get there:
From Bangkok, take a bus or van from Northern Bus Station (Morchit) or Southern Bus Station (Sai Tai Mai). However, it is more convenient to explore Kanchanaburi using a travel agency. A complete package (van + lodging + guide) is available at the travel agencies that abound in Khao San Road – a street in the old part of Bangkok where most foreigners congregate.
See Also: Profile of Kanchanaburi Province