Benjamin Magalong is a Filipino politician and retired police general of the Philippine National Police (PNP). He is currently the mayor of Baguio City in the Cordillera Region of Northern Philippines. Running under the Nationalist People’s Coaltion (NPC) in the May 13, 2019 election, he defeated eight other candidates including Edison Bilog of the PDP-Laban Party and former Party-list Representative Edgar Avila of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA).
Complete Name –> Benjamin Banez Magalong
Nickname –> Ben, Benjie
Birth Date –> December 15, 1960 (age 60 years)
Birth Place –> Baguio City, Benguet, Philippines
Elementary – Saint Louis University Laboratory Elementary School
High School – Saint Louis University Laboratory High School
College – Philippine Military Academy
Course – Military Science (Magna Cum Laude)
Class – Sandigan class (1982)
* Ben Magalong underwent trainings abroad such as Counter Terrorists Operation Course in Louisiana, USA, and the Senior Crisis Management Course in Washington, DC.
Military and Police Career
* Retired from Philippine National Police on December 15, 2016 after serving the institution for 38 years where he rose from batallion commander to Deputy Chief of Operations.
* In 2015 – he headed the Board of Inquiry that investigated the Mamasapano incident where 44 SAF troopers were killed. His report recommended the indictment of former President Noynoy Aquino.
* From 2013 to 2016, he was chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).
* From 2011 to 2013, he was head of the Regional Office of the PNP in Cordillera or PRO-COR
2016-2018 – Senior Vice President for Operations, Steel Asia Corporation
2018-2019 – Member of the Board, Philippine National Oil Company
2019-Present – Mayor of Baguio City
Projects For Baguio
Redevelopment of Burnham Park
Rehabilitation of Mines View Park
New Public Market
Cable Car to connect Baguio and La Union
Improvement of Sewerage System
Achievements and Awards
* Ranked No. 5 in job approval rating among all mayors for 2021 according to RP- Mission and Development Foundation Inc.
* General Magalong received at least 166 Military and PNP achievement and merit Medals
* Environmental Protection, Traffic Management, Peace and Order, Tourism Development, Youth Empowerment and Market Modernization
2001 – Accusation of plotting to assassinate Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, then the new President of the Philippines. Case was dismissed.
2006 – Imprisonment for three months due to participation in a destabilization plot against the Arroyo Administration which led to the proclamation of a State of Emergency
2019 – Testimony at a Senate hearing against PNP Chief Oscar Albayalde in relation to the drug-related operation conducted by cops in the town of Mexico, Pampanga in 2014.
2021 – Regional Winner, People Manager of the Year Category given by Philippine Management Association of the Philippines
2017 – Outstanding Baguio Citizen
2013 – Presidential Lingkod Bayan