Kaka Bag-ao is a Filipino lawyer and politician. She served as governor of Dinagat Island Province in Caraga Region, Philippines.
In the May 13, 2019 election, she ran under the Liberal Party (LP) and defeated then incumbent vice governor Benglen Ecleo of the powerful Ecleo dynasty. She ran for re-election in 2022 but lost to incumbent vice governor Nilo Demerey Jr.
Complete Name –> Arlene Javellana Bag-ao
Nickname –> Kaka
Birthdate –> July 3, 1969 (Age: 53)
Birthplace –> Manila
Hometown –> Loreto, Dinagat Island, Philippines
Trivia –> She earned the moniker “Dragon Slayer” for defeating an entrenched political dynasty in 2013 and in 2019.
Elementary – Loreto Central Elementary School in Dinagat Island
High School – Southeastern College in Pasay City
College – De La Salle University
Degree – AB political Science
Law School – Ateneo de Manila University
* Passed the Bar in 1994
2019-2022 – Governor, Dinagat Island
2013-2019 – Congresswoman, Dinagat Island Lone Legislative District
2010-2013 – Party-List Representative of AKBAYAN
2004 – Special Consultant, Secretary of the Department of Agrarian Reform
* Executive Director, BALAOD Mindanaw – a service group to help Mindanao farmers, workers, and other marginalized groups in Mindanao
* Human Rights Lawyer
* Alternative Lawyer
Achievements and Awards
2015 – Freedom Flame Award by Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF)
2010 – Outstanding Women in the Nation’s Service (TOWNS) Award in Alternative Lawyering
* As a congresswoman, she authored or co-authored many important bills that were passed in to law including National Land Use Act, Philippine Mineral Resources Act, Open Door Policy Act, Individual Income Tax Reduction Act, Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Act, and Land Acquisition and Distribution Completion Law.
* DinagatLink Provincial Bus
* ADAPTATION AND MITIGATION INITIATIVES IN AGRICULTURE (AMIA)
* Provincial Care and Containment Center