Alaminos Pangasinan History and Profile | Jump to Tourist Spots
Profile of Alaminos City
Location –> Western part of Pangasinan, ILocos Region, Philippines (See map below)
Neighboring Towns –> Sual, Mabini, and Bani
Distance from Manila –> about 250 kilometers
Area –> 166 sq. km.
Population –> 89,708 (2015 census)
Industries –> Agriculture, Trading, Tourism
No. of Barangays –> 39
Revenue (2016) –> 477,774,464.01
Representative –> Noli Celeste
Mayor –> Bryan Art Celeste
Predecessor –> Arthur Celeste
Vice Mayor –> Anton Perez
City Councilors (Sangguniang Panlungsod Members):
Aldred Felix de Castro
Dahlia De leon
Alaminos City History
Alaminos was named after the former Governor-General Juan Alaminos y de Vivar who ruled the Philippines from 1873 to 1874. The origin of the people are believed to be the Zambals from Zambales to first settled in the present town of Bolinao. Around 1737, they founded a village called Casborran In short, Alaminos was formerly part of Bolinao Municipality which at that time was a territory of Zambales Province.
In 1747, Casborran became a pueblo or an independent town. More than 10 years later, the number of settlers grew dramatically such that conflict arose between the original residents and the newly arrived migrants. These conflict resulted in a great fire that ruined the town. Some residents fled and founded another village which is now Inerangan Barangay. In 1766, the village of Sarapsap was founded which later grew into the present Poblacion.
In 1873, then Governor-General Alaminos visited Sarapsap and the town was renamed after him. In 1903, the then municipality of Alaminos, along with eight other towns of Zambales became part of Pangasinan. Don Francisco Reinoso was elected and served as the first Municipal President.
On January 18, 1940, then President Manuel Luis Quezon issued Proclamation No. 667 converting an area of 16.76 square kilometres (6.47 sq mi) into Hundred Islands National Park.
On December 26, 1968 , the Communist Party of the Philippines was founded by Jose Maria Sison in the remote barangay of Dulacac. On March 28, 2001, Alaminos became a city after a majority of the voters approved in a plebiscite. Its charter, Republic Act 9025, was signed by then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on March 5, 2001.
In May 2009, Typhoon Emong damaged many areas of the city including the roof of St. Joseph Cathedral.
Hundred Islands National Park
Lucap Park and Wharf
Saint Joseph Cathedral
Telbang white beach
Paraw Festival was formerly called Galila Hundred Islands Festival held from March 16 to March 21 every year.