7/18/2022 Today’s Gospel Reading: Matthew 12:38-42
38 Some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Jesus, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.”
39 He said to them in reply, “An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet.
40 Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.
41 At the judgment, the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and there is something greater than Jonah here.
42 At the judgment the queen of the south will arise with this generation and condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and there is something greater than Solomon here.”
7/18/2022 Today’s Gospel Reflection: Matthew 12:38-42
Pointers for Reflection:
1. The Pharisees and Scribes were real hypocrites. They addressed Jesus as “Teacher” but they do not believe in Him. In fact, they despised Him. They asked for a sign to convince them that Jesus is indeed the Messiah but they have already witnessed many miracles including the healing of a demon-oppressed man. All they actually wanted was something to discredit Him. Jesus knew what was in their hearts so He refused to give one.
2. Jesus brought up the sign of Jonah who stayed in the belly of the whale for three days and three nights. We recall how Jonah wanted to ran away from God but eventually became the instrument for a pagan city to repent.
3. Nineveh was a pagan city but when the people of this place heard the call of Jonah for repentance, they believe and repented. So God relented and did not destroy the city. Let us compare the people of Nineveh and the people of Israel. The Ninevites who were not Jews believed in the message and repented. Jesus was greater than Jonah but the Jews who are called the “Chosen People of God” rejected Him and did not repent.
4. Jesus also made a reference to Sheba, the queen from the pagan south. She came from a far away territory to hear the wisdom of Solomon. Jesus is greater than Solomon but the people in Israel refused to listen to Him.
5. Jesus points to the coming judgment day. Those who continue to reject the message of repentance will be condemned.
6. Which person are you like? A Pharisee? Jonah? A Ninevite who repented? Queen Sheba?
7. Are you thinking of Judgment Day? How would you like to be judged?