Stephane Bancel is an American business executive and entrepreneur. He is currently serving as the chief executive officer (CEO) of Moderna, Inc. and as a member of the board of Qiagen NV. Previously, he served as the chief executive officer of Biomerieux SA.
Moderna Inc. is a Cambridge, Massachusetts-based biotechnology company which was founded by Stéphane Bancel, Noubar Afeyan, Robert Langer, and Kenneth Chien. Early in 2020, the biotechnology company collaborated with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to develop a vaccine for covid-19. The drug has reached the level of human testing as of march 17, 2020.
Stephane Bancel studied MA in Engineering at the École Central Paris. He also finished MSc in Chemical Engineering from University of Minnesota and MBA from Harvard Business School. He has been CEO of Moderna since 2011. Other positions he held include
* Executive Director, Global Manufacturing Strategy and Supply Chain, Eli Lilly Indiana, USA
* Managing Director, Eli Lilly Belgium
* Chief Executive Officer, bioMérieux
* Supervisory Director, Qiagen
* Executive Chairman of the Board, BG Medicine
* Member, Board of Directors, Syros Pharmaceuticals
Among other awards Stephane Bancel received were the best CEO for investor relations in France (2009) and #1 CEO in the biotech sector given by the 2011 Thomson Reuters EXTEL Study. To date, he has over 45 patent application filings in the field of messenger RNA technology.