Gelia Castillo is a Filipino social scientist and sociologist who received the National Scientist Award in 1999.
Full Name – Gelia T. Castillo
Birth Date : March 3, 1928
Died : August 5, 2017
Birthplace : Sta. Cruz, Laguna, Philippines
College : University of the Philippines, 1948
Course : Psychology
Master : Rural Sociology – Pennsylvania State University, 1958
Doctorate : Rural Sociology – Cornell University, 1960
* Professor, University of the Philippines
* Became a member of the National Academy of Science and Technology in 1983
Contribution to Social Science
Gelia found out in her research that Filipino farmers are not resistant to new technologies. She also claimed that the Filipino extended family system is a constant source of moral support and solidarity.
1. All in a Grain of Rice – about the Filipino farmer’s response to new technology
2. Beyond Manila – a book on rural development
3. How Participatory is Participatory Development?
4. The Filipino Woman as Manpower
1999 – National Scientist of the Philippines
1976 – Rizal Pro Patria Award