Can you climb 2,060 steps from the bottom of a building to the top in one hour?
Try it at Baiyoke Tower II, Thailand’s tallest building from 1997 until 2016 when MahaNakhon Building was completed. Still, it is considered the tallest hotel building not only in Thailand but also in Southeast Asia.
Here are some 12 interesting facts about the Baiyoke Tower II, also called Baiyoke Sky Hotel:
1. Location: 222 Ratchaprarop Road, Ratchathewi District (beside Pathumwan Shopping District), see map below.
2. Years Under Construction: 1991 – 1997 (Antenna added in 1999).
3. Number of Floors: 88
4. Height: 309 m or 328.4 m (1,077 ft)including the antenna
5. Project Cost: 3.4 Billion Baht (before the baht was devalued in 1997)
6. Area inside the building: 179,400 sq. meters or about 30 football fields.
7. Piling runs 65 meters deep underground – the height of a 22-storey building.
8. It contains 1,740 window panes that is good 200 town houses.
9. Project proponent: Panlert Baiyoke who conceived of the building in the 1980s.
10. On the revolving 84th floor is the observation deck with stunning views of the Bangkok skyline.
11. On the 77th floor is a lobby where you can also have a magnificent view of the city from all directions, rain or shine.
12. Depending on your package, you can have a lavish seafood buffet dinner at Sky Restaurant and a free massage with iced tea.
Bangkok Skyline as seen from the 84th floor
Baiyoke Sky Hotel as seen from another building
The building as seen from an alley in Prathunam Market.
Related: Sea Life Ocean World, Damnoen Saduak Floating Market