One of the biggest universities in the northeastern region of Thailand is Mahasarakham University (MSU). It is located in the province of Mahasarakham. In 2018, it ranked number ten in the Times Higher Education ranking among universities in Thailand.
MSU traces its root to 1963 when it was known as “Mahasarakham Teacher’s Training College”. Later it became a campus of Srinakharinwirot University. In 1994, it gained its university status. Annually, it admits more than 40,000 students who are enrolled in 18 faculties, two colleges, and nine research centres.
The 18 faculties are grouped into three namely: Humanities and social sciences, Applied Sciences and Technologies, and Health sciences. The two colleges are in music and politics & governance. The nine research institutes are:
1. Walai Rukhavej Botanical Research Institute
2. Research Institute of Northeastern Art and Culture
3. Sirindhorn Isan Information Center
4. Chalermprakiet Agricultural Technology Transfer Center
5. Mahasarakham University Museum
6. Natural Medicinal Mushroom Museum
7. Northeastern Leaf-inscription Conservation Center
8. Palaeontological Research and Education Center
9. Silk Innovation Center
Photo credit: edu.msu.ac.th
Address: 242 Khamriang Sub-District, Kantarawichai District, Maha Sarakham Province, 44150 Thailand (See map below for exact location)
Telephone: +66 4375 4241
Related: List of Universities in Thailand